Monday 15 April 2013

Are the dual degrees at IITs really worth it?

Here’s another interesting question on an Internet forum that most of you might be interested in.
Question: Are the dual degrees at IITs really worth it?
I personally think that the dual degrees courses are student-fillers. Its a common knowledge that the Mtech , PhDs courses at IITs are sub-par  Am I right in believing that the extra degree wont really anything add to my career ?
Here’s the answer given by one Vinay Sridhar which is interesting.
Answer
I’m a final year Dual Degree in Ocean Engineering at IIT Madras.
I remember being unhappy in first year that most of my friends would leave in four years while I had to stay back another year, with almost no perceived benefit. I now believe it’s definitely a good option, regardless of what you want to do later.
Simply put, four years is too little to do everything you can possibly do in college. The B.Tech programs back in the 80s used to be 4.5 years long, and some old-timers I know thought reducing the courses’s duration was a bad idea. College is a place where you explore and learn new things, without constraints, commitments or external pressure. It’s an entire year with little or no coursework and a rather light thesis (if you want it to be). Plus, you get 8K a month!
I know people who spent their final years doing all sorts of things they didn’t have the time to do before. Some travel, some read more (something most people don’t do at all in college) and some go to classes to learn something new.
It’s a good option even from the perspective of how it helps you when you graduate – you’ve got much more free time to prepare for the CAT and placements. You get an extra summer (that’s effectively an extra internship – specifically in IITM. I understand this works differently in the other IITs), and enough time to do an internship during the year as well. Some people spend the extra year doing more work for campus organizations.
A downside is that you’ll probably have a lot fewer friends, and you’ll get bored a lot. But, on the whole, it’s a great option.

No comments:

Post a Comment