Sunday 25 August 2013

Common problems of students. How to prepare yourself for board exams

Q. How do I deal with exam related stress?
Ans. Recognize your negative thoughts. Once you closely examine these thoughts you’ll see how unrealistic they are. Challenge the thoughts that say you are a failure and that you can’t succeed. Remind yourself that it was just another exam and with effort, you will do better in your next attempt.
Q. What if I do badly?
Ans. Replace self-criticism with self-correction. Judging yourself harshly now won’t help you do better in the future. Take the position of an observer. What if a good friend told you he had failed? Would you call him a failure? Most probably you would emphasize his good points and help him put the situation in perspective.
Q. How do I deal with my family’s disappointment if my results are not good?
Ans. Be open and honest with them. Share what you feel about the result and what you think went wrong. Reassure them of your concern and efforts. Above all, do not have a negative bias against your parents because sometimes they need more reassuring than you do.
Q. What if I don’t get the marks I’m expecting?
Ans. Concentrate on your achievements and be realistic about yourexpectations as well. Usually we know when we have made a mistake, so take these into account while drawing up expected marks. If you are still dissatisfied with the results, the option of rechecking is always open.
Q. My board exams are nearing but whenever I prepare a particular subject, I feel like I have forgotten. This makes me more anxious and tense and I am losing confidence. I know I am capable of doing very well. Please help me.
Ans. During this time of the year, students face a high level of performance anxiety. You must stay relaxed. Start writing down whatever you learn in order to avoid making mistakes. Solving sample papers within stipulated time limit will help you retain the subject matter. This will also make you confident. You must also take frequent breaks and relax in ways you enjoy.
If you still feel that there is too much pressure and you are unable to handle it and your self-esteem is coming down, then you must consult a professional counselor or a psychiatrist to help you.
Q. Everyone tells me to concentrate on my studies.
Ans. One of the common mistakes a student makes is to totally change the lifestyle. This is under the assumption that if you isolate yourself from all leisure and fun times with friends and family and only study, then you will do better.
Q. I am addicted to the Internet and spend hours on it. I used to be a good student before but my performance has gone down drastically now. Please help.
Ans. Recreation is not bad if done in moderation.Your situation is quite understandable. At this juncture you need self-control and try to refrain from logging on to the net.
Q. Despite sleeping well, I feel drowsy all day long. Whatever I study I forget quickly and I feel I am wasting valuable time. I am also eating a lot and have gained weight. I don’t know what to do.
Ans. To perform well in any activity, we need to have a well-planned strategy, which includes the useful activities and excludes the ones that are not top priority. Lack of interest or being over-worked could be the reason behind feeling sleepy. You should strike a balance between study and leisure. Include some physical activity in your routine. Have fixed study hours and take small breaks in between. Write down what you have learnt and solve sample papers.
Q. How much sleep is required?
Ans. The human body requires an average of 8 hours of sleep per day. But there is no hard and fast rule. Each one of us has to understand our body rhythm and know by trial and error how many hours of sleep keeps us fit.
Q. What happens if we sleep less than what our body requires?
Ans. If continued for long then the body gets into what is known as sleep deprivation syndrome because it accumulates so many hours of Sleep Debt. Then you get tired and sleepy, or suffer headaches, body aches, poor digestion, inability to concentrate, irritability etc.
Q. Should I study in the morning or at night?
Ans. First understand whether you are an owl or a lark.IF you can get up early in the morning and feel fresh then you must get up early and study or study late at night if you cannot get up in the morning.
Q. To keep awake for studying students drink lots of coffee. What is the harm?
Ans. Caffeine in small doses acts as a stimulant and keeps you awake, so a cup once a day may be Ok. Excessive coffee drinking has side effects like tremors, fast pulse rate, irritability, acidity and stomach pain.
Q. How does exercise help you mentally?
Ans. Regular exercise releases good chemicals in our body. These are called endorphins. These make you feel happy. They counter the effects of stress, depression and anxiety that all students suffer from during exam time. So after exercising you get a “Natural kick” which is longer lasting and safe.
Q. How can I inculcate positive attitude towards future when I feel so scared?
Ans. Don’t keep on thinking about the future.
  • Believe in yourself.
  • Try to put your best effort.
  • Learn from your previous experiences papers and work more on your weak areas.
  • Always remember that no one can see the future but what you can do is, prepare best for tomorrow

1 comment: