Thursday 25 July 2013

New IIT Normalization Formula Robbed Me of a Second Chance

Nishant Gupta scored 91.1% in Class XII of Andhra Pradesh Board and was allotted civil engineering in IIT-Bombay . His dream score came crashing down after the double blow of the normalization process and the 20-percentile rule. He spoke to TOI. Excerpts:

How did you get to know that the IIT dream is over?

On the night of July 3, I got to know that I won't be getting into IIT. The first cut-off announced by the Andhra Pradesh Board was 476 out of 530. This was later revised. Finally the JEE announced the score of 487 as the cut-off . My score was 483.

What was your reaction?

I didn't know what to say. I've no hope of getting into any engineering college this year. I didn't take admission in NIT, expecting to get into IIT. I even gave up admission to BITS, Pilani where I'd got mechanical engineering.

How have your parents taken it?

My parents are telling me to appear for the examination next year. But since the eligibility criterion will not change I don't want to sit for it again. The government can do just about anything. Next year I'll try to get into Vellore Institute of Technology .

Do you think the idea of a single examination has worked?

No. Instead of one there are three examinations now: The Class XII exam, JEE (Main) and then there is the JEE (Advanced). Exactly the opposite has happened.

What would you suggest?

If the government wants to place so much emphasis on Class XII results it should give at least 5% quota to Board toppers. Also, instead of a cut-off of 60% in Class XII as was the criterion till last year, it should be made 80%. Students will then have a fixed target.


Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/New-formula-robbed-me-of-a-second-chance/articleshow/21323557.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment